Monday 31 March 2014

Neal's Yard Remedies: Product Review

Lotions, Potions and Creams:

How to sooth sore limbs



Over the past few months I have been using a few Neal's Yard Remedies {NYR}. One - Arnica - was a freebie to be reviewed, the other two, Foot Balm and Warming Oil, have been presents from my wife, Orla. All have come from Tracey, our friend in Teignmouth. Tracey runs her own NYR franchise, Lavender Fields, as well as a life coaching enterprise, Indigo Lane Consulting.

Tracey and Orla have been very keen for me to try products from NYR that will aid and smooth my tired limbs through my long winter nights of training. Normally, I'm not one for too many creams, but I was willing to give them a go, my legs after all were tired. 


Arnica Salve



Arnica was the first product that was given to me to try. Apparently it 'supports a hard worked body'; just what I needed. Within days of getting this I was laid up for 3 weeks due to a sore ankle [see Things I have Learnt this month]. Not able to use on my sore and tired muscles (due to the fact I had no sore and tired limbs as I wasn't running!), I could at least rub it on my sore ankle. 

Sports muscle rubs is a big market, with varying degrees of claims made by the manufacturers for the effectiveness of their products, but few, I am willing to bet, are as lovely smelling as Arnica. It smells almost good enough to eat. I didn't, as I'm sure it tastes disgusting, but it does feel very good rubbed into your skin. Daily I rubbed it into my ankle, along with using a heat wrap, and it worked rather well.  Within weeks, I was up and running again at The Grizzy , and Arnica played a part in that I'm sure. I used it again yesterday after my 12hr walk on Dartmoor and my leg muscles didn't hurt as much this morning as they did last night. Did arnica cure me? I doubt it, but on these occasions arnica certainly didn't harm the healing process, but it was soothing and I'm sure it was beneficial to my aching muscles. It smells nice, it feels nice, it's organic, it doesn't leave any greasy stains and as part of an all round pampering for sore muscles, why not? 


Comfrey & Mallow Foot Balm


For several months Orla had been questioning why I don't look after my feet. I have books on training for ultra's , nutrition for ultra's, footwear for ultra's, technical clothing, I have sports massages, go to yoga, stretch; but do not look after my feet. Phh, I thought, what does she know. Truth is, who talks about their feet. I couldn't remember reading an article on feet in any of my magazines. Foot care - even for runners- is not high on the list of things we talk about. 

Then Orla gave me this foot cream. It 'revitalises tired and overworked feet', it says. Ok, I'll do some foot research. I am planning on running a couple of marathons and a few ultra's this year after all, so I will be spending a lot of time on my feet. And that's when I discovered John Vonhof and his foot obsession. His book and website are both called Fixing your feet. I now have the book and my foot fetish is developing nicely.

Orla was right. I wasn't taking care of my feet, and apparently neither are many other active people. We have expensive kit, we obsess over said kit, research nutrition, test trainers and, well,  everything else; except feet. Yet in-spite of the months of training, a small - often preventable- foot problem can ruin your race. So by buying my NYR foot balm [from Tracey ], Orla made the biggest contribution to my training regime yet. Hard skin and callouses are out, foot care and soft skin is in. What better way to care for your feet than NYR comfrey and mallow foot balm. It has a hint of marshmallow, is soft and silky on the foot, it feels divine and works on even the harshest of skin. So don't delay, buy some today; it may just save your race season!




Ginger & Juniper Warming Oil


Ginger & Juniper
Warming Oil
A recent addition to my stock, this warming oil was a birthday present from Orla, bought, I suspect, from our friend Tracey at NYR. I have only used it once, but am satisfied it will be used many more times to come! After my long walk on Dartmoor yesterday, I rubbed arnica into my legs and foot cream on my feet. This morning, I felt better and decided to try the warming oil on my legs. Warning: Be careful when you pour this. The lip of the bottle is small, but still big enough for a lot of oil to come out if you are not careful. Thankfully, I was, but it has the potential to be very messy. I considered this warming oil to be a better option for massaging whole legs / larger areas than the arnica. It goes further and is easier to apply; I also feel that this warming oil is more effective on sore and tired legs. I would recommend using the arnica for smaller aches and pains and warming oil on larger areas. I feel this will oil will be used quite frequently.

As I said earlier, I didn't tend to use lotions & potions that much. But after trying the above, and as part of a programme yoga & stretching, I will now. I'm sure my tired feet and legs will thank me for it.

Thank you, once again, to Tracey at NYR for supplying the above products.





















No comments:

Post a Comment