Saturday 24 May 2014

Musings of a Wannabe Ultra Runner: Half time report

It's week 8 / 16 of my Ultra training programme. Half way there. Race to The Stones on July 19th is D-Day. Eight weeks to go. I am, as they say, entering the 'business end' of the training now. If it didn't seem real before, it certainly did now. It all suddenly became very real this week end. Do I have what it takes to make the transition from marathon runner to ultra runner? I guess I will find out over the next 8 weeks. Why did it hit home this week? I think the turning point was Imerys trail marathon. It was 'only' 26.2 miles, yet it was tough and it hurt. Race to the Stones is twice that and then another half on top. Then there is the Roseland August Trail, {August 16th}, which although the same distance {100km / 62.2miles}, I have a feeling may be tougher. And I barely finished 26.2 miles!  I hurt, yet I rested. I saw a chiropodist , who mended my feet and was back out Friday for a 5.5hr run, only five days after Imerys. It was during this run that I began to fully appreciate the effort that was now required. A moment of clarity, if you want.

It had all seemed 'do able' up until now. A few hours run her, a few hours run was mostly enjoyable. But from now on, there would be no resting up. A marathon would become a regular weekly training run. Then get up the next day and do it all over again. Towards the end of this run though, I also began to realise that maybe I could do this ultra thing after all! The weather was good. The country hedgerows, glorious in full bloom of blue bells, cowparsley and pink campeon. The views North - East - South - West were a soothing panacea to my tired limbs. My mind wandered and the end result is a few other musings from this week ends efforts:


  • Use of barrier cream is essential: apply liberally to all essential areas, then apply more. And then take some with you just in case.
  • Take time to stop and admire the scenery. If only to take a photo and post on facebook so you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home.
  • Taking in the views whilst running is recommended- but do keep half an eye at least on the ground & where you are going. Or you may fall over.  Or run into something. Or not notice the path has changed direction when you are running in straight line.
  • Singing 'pain is an illusion, pain is a dream' to the tune of the Buzzcocks 'Everybody's Happy Nowdays' doesn't actually make the pain any less real, but it does take your mind off things for a  while.
  • When passing through a field, if you see a cow smelling another cows bottom, this is natural and nothing to be afraid of. If you then notice this cow is larger than the others, is different colour, has no udder and is sporting a very large ring in its nose, then it is not a cow. It is infact a bull. Probably best to leave said field quickly.
  • A 5.5hr training run, may only be a training run- but it is still a 5.5hr run. Prepare properly and treat it with the respect that it it deserves. Or it will make you suffer.
  • Chafing occurs on training runs as well as in races. 
  • What is the best post run treat; beer, pizza or cake?
  • If all else fails. Smile. You are, after all, doing this for fun, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment